SetBrowser 1.4 - Set default Windows web browser
Author: Jem Berkes, SysDesign
A very simple program that lets you set the default web browser in Windows. Select the browser you want, and the program will modify the required registry settings. Can now also automatically locate the browser. A valuable tool for anybody who uses more than one web browser on their system (e.g. if you switch between Netscape Navigator/Communicator, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera and others).
This software is very old, and does not recognize recent web browsers! See Mozilla/Firefox notes on setting the default browser. Since most web browsers have the ability to make themselves default (and automatically set all the proper registry settings), only use SetBrowser in situations where browsers don't recognize the current settings. "Forcing" the default browser, as SetBrowser does, is really a last resort.
Download freeware - stbrws14.exe [42 kb]
Changes in this version:
- Preferences allows greater flexibility over what is modified
- Added detailed error responses to "Test" function
- Improved ability to detect current browser
- Fixed an access violation bug while searching for browsers
- You can now search different folders for web browser
- Now recognizes Netscape 6